1954 BA Art, Smith College, Northampton MA
1982 Master of Arts in Art and Education, Columbia University Teachers College, NY
Lesly Heller Workspace, NYC
Marina Gallery, Cold Springs, NY
Lesley Heller Gallery, In the Garden, New York, NY
Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, Cross River, NY
Lesley Heller Gallery, New York, NY
Garrison Arts Center, Garrison, NY
Pearl Gallery, Stoneridge, NY
Garrison Art Center, Garrison, NY
Carl Van Brunt, Beacon, NY
2009 The Gallery in the Park,Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, NY
2007 Car Van Brunt Gallery, Beacon, NY
2006 Whirlwind Gallery, NY NY
2005 Imaging Art, Tappan, NY
2004 John Davis Gallery, NY NY
2003 Collaborative Concepts, Beacon, NY
Rosenberg + Kaufman Fine Art-Photography and Work on Paper, New York
Digital Photographs January 16, 2001-February 16, 2002.
1999 The Century Association, New York
1997 Hirschl and Adler Modern, New York
1995 Hirschl and Adler Modern, New York
1994 M-13 Gallery, New York 1993 Katonah Museum, Katonah, NY
1992 M-13 Gallery, New York Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, MA
1991 Bill Bace Gallery, New York Witkin Gallery, New York Center for Creative Photography, Tuscon, AZ
1989 Bill Bace Gallery, New York Witkin Gallery, New York Hopper House, Nyack, NY
1987 Hillwood Gallery, Long Island University, C.W. Post Campus, Brookville, NY
1986 Twining Gallery, New York Witkin Gallery, New York
1984 Twining Gallery, New York Gallery 291, Atlanta, GA Susan Harder Gallery, New York 1983 Susan Harder Gallery, New York
1981 Books and Company, New York Aaron Berman Gallery, New York
1979 Parsons-Dreyfuss Gallery, New York
1977 Elaine Benson Gallery, Bridgehampton, NY Rockefeller Arts Center, State University, NY
1974 Razor Gallery, New York Todorof Gallery, Buffalo, NY
1973 Henri Gallery, Washington, DC 1971 Spectrum Gallery, New York
Century Association, NY NY
Heidi Cho Gallery, NY NY
Sugar Hill Art Center, New York, NY
Soho Photo Gallery Neuberger Museum, Purchase, N.Y.
Davis & Hall, Hudson, N.Y.
Kate Ganz Gallery, N.Y.C
Art Students League, N.Y.C.
Rockland Center for the Arts, Nyack, N.Y.
The Century Association, N.Y.C.
Sculptors Draw, Rosenberg and Kaufman Fine Art, New York
Hands, Workspace, New York
Masterworks by Instructors, The Art Students league of New York
Elena Zang Gallery, Woodstock, NY
Hunterdon Museum of Art, Clinton, NJ
M-13 Gallery, New York
Anderson Gallery, Buffalo, NY
Laurence Miller Gallery, NY
Snug Harbor Cultural Center, Staten Island, NY
Hunterdon Museum of Art, Clifton, NJ
Chesterwood, Stockbridge, MA
The Century Association, NY
Boston College Museum of Art, Chestnut Hill, MA
Washington Art Association, Washington, CT
Snug Harbor Cultural Center. Parsons School of Art, NY
Chesterwood, Stockbridge, MA
M-13 Gallery, NY
Baruch College, NY
The Queens Museum, Flushing, NY
The Hudson River Museum, Yonkers, NY
The Century Club,NY
Sculpture Outdoors, Philadelphia, PA
Henri Gallery,Washington, DC
Independent Curators Incorporated, NY
Hirschl and Adler Modern, NY
Blue Hill Cultural Center, Pearl River, NY
14 Sculptors, NY Blum Helman Warehouse, NY
Hillwood Gallery, Long Island University, C.W. Post Campus, Brookville, NY
Twining Gallery, NY
Fergus-Jean and Associates, Columbus, OH
Marianne Deson Gallery, Chicago
International Center for Photography, NY
Aldrich Art Museum, Ridgefield, CT
Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art Dallas Museum of Modern Art
Roberson Center for the Arts, Binghamton, NY
Elaine Benson Gallery, Bridgehampton, NY
Parsons-Dreyfuss Gallery, NY
Contemporary Arts Center, Cincinnati, OH
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY
Harvard University School of Design, Cambridge, MA
O.I.A. Wards Island, NY
Rutgers University, Camden, NJ
Webb and Parsons Gallery, Bedford, NY
Bonino Gallery, NY
Spectrum Gallery, NY
Henri Gallery, Washington, DC
Grants | Awards | Residencies
Riverhouse Editions, Steamboat Springs, CO
Instructor, The Art Students League, NY
Vermont Studio Center, Johnson VT
Northern Engraving Corp., LaCrosse, WI
EHCCA, Outdoors Installation Project Grant
Public Arts Fund Inc.
Pratt Sculpture Park, Brooklyn NY
Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
Blue Hill Industrial Park, Rockland County,NY
Franconia Sculpture Park, Minneapolis, MN
Longhouse, Easthampton, NY
East Hampton Center for Contemporary Art, NY
C.W. Post Campus, Long Island University, Brookville, NY
City Hall Park, NY Socrates Sculpture Park, Long Island City, NY
Stamford Art Museum, CT
Art Omi, Field Sculpture Park, Chatham, NY
Bates College, Lewiston, ME
Bergen Museum of Art and Science, NJ
Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York Center for Creative Photography, Tucson, AZ Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC
Houston Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, TX
Jacksonville Art Museum, FL
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY
Mobil Corporation, Washington, DC
Mt. Holyoke College Museum, MA
Newark Museum Northern Engraving Corp., Lacrosse, WI
Roberson Center for the Arts, Binghamton, NY
Smith College Museum, Northampton, MA
Storm King Art Center, Mountainville, NY
The Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn, NY
The Museum of Outdoors Art, Denver, CO
The Prudential Insurance Company of America, New York
Victoria and Albert Museum, London
Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, Connecticut
Lackey, David. "Interview with Grace Knowlton". New York, 2006. Video (30 minutes).
- "An Artist's Retreat." House and Garden, Nov 2005, p.156-163.
- "Photography as Process." Imaging Art, September-October 2005.
- Whirlwind Space, Group Show. New York, NY. September 2005.
- Kingston Sculpture Biennial, Group Show. July 16–October 15, 2005.
- "Photography: Origins to Now." Imaging Art, June-July 2005.
- Nadelman, Cynthia. "Grace Knowlton at John Davis." Art News, October 2004.
- Boettger, Suzaan. “Report from Beacon.” Art in America, June 2003.
- Lombardi, D. Dominick. “Permutations of Print.” New York Times, Art Reviews, June 2003.
- Lisle, Jennifer. "Rockland Artists' Studios", Journal News, October 2002.
- “The House that Jack Built.” Gardens Illustrated, (October 2002): 36.
- Sun Journal, "Showing at Bates", Bates College, September 6, 2002
- Smith, Roberta. "Neuberger Museum of Art."The New York Times, July, 26, 2002.
- Zimmer, William. “Iron and Bronze Pieces, Yes, but Don't Overlook the Couscous." The New York Times, Sunday, July 21, 2002.
- Zimmer, William. The New York Region: The Neuberger Museum: The New York Times, July 2002.
- Nesoff, Elizabeth. "New Neuberger Exhibits," The Scarsdale Inquirer, June 2002.
- Sheets, Hilarie M. New York Revues, Art News, June 2002.
- The Journal News, "Knowlton Works Focus of 2-part Show", June 16, 2002.
- Greenwich Times, "At the Neuberger: The Forms of Art", May 20, 2002
- Braff, Phyllis. "Longhouse Foundation", New York Times, May 2002.
- Wallentini, Joe. "Grace Knowlton at Rosenberg and Kaufman", abstract art on line, March 2002.
- Lombardi, D. Dominick. "Collaborative Concepts", April 2001.
- Lombardi, D. Dominick.” Inaugural Exhibition Gallery in Beacon,” New York Times, Arts & Entertainment, April 22, 2001.
- Vermont Studio Center Catalog 2, no. 4. Johnson, Vermont, 2000, 2002.
- Linea, “A Personal History.” Journal of the Art Students Leaque of New York 4, no. 2. 2000.
- Barrie, Brooke. “Contemporary Outdoor Sculpture.” 1999.
- Chi, Robert. "Grace Knowlton", New York, 1999. Videocassette (20 minutes).
- “Storm King’s Vistas and Sculpture.” Sculpture Magazine, October 1999.
- Johnson, Ken. New York Times, August 13, 1999
- “Smith Voices. Selected Works”. Edited by Patricia L. Skarda. Northhampton, MA: Smith College Press, April 1999.
- Goodman, Jonathan. “A Sculptor’s Place: The Studio of Grace Knowlton.” Sculpture Magazine, (January-February 1999):25-29.
- Kuebler, Joanne, ed. “Art Students League of NY, ‘98-’99.” New York: The Art Students League of New York. 1999
- Goodman, Jonathan. Art in America, (July 1998):97.
- “Nef Garden.” Landscape Architecture, August 1998.
- Schwabsky, Barry. “Forces From the Soul of a Dyed-in-the-Wool (Or Is It Fake Fur?) Romantic.” The New York Times, Mach 29, 1998.
- “Jack Lenor Larsen and Longhouse Foundation.” The Studio Potter, 25, no. 2, (June 1997): 28.
- Knowlton, Grace. “The Importance and/or Meaning of Drawing in My Work.” Drawing 4, (Spring 1997):108.
- Moyer, Roy. “The Figure Drawings of Grace Knowlton.” Drawing 4, (Spring 1997):107.
- Nahas, Dominique. “Grace Knowlton, Painting and Sculpture, Hirschl and Adler Modern.” Review, (January 11, 1997):18.
- Naito, Tstinekata. “Wolfgang Oehm and James Van Sweden—New World Landscapes.” Tokyo: Process Architecture Co., Ltd., 1996.
- “Square Bubbles.” Union College, Schenectady, NY: Mandeville Gallery, March 1996.
- Upshaw, Reagan. “Grace Knowlton at Hirschl and Adler Modern.”Art in America, (February 1996): 88.
- “Fearless Gardening, Jack Lenor Larsen.” House Beautiful, (May 1995):116-120.
- “Grace Knowlton, M-13.” The New Yorker, May 16, 1994.
- Zimmer, William. “Grace Knowlton’s Sculpture at Katonah Museum.” The New York Times, January 2, 1994.
- Chesterwood, Daniel. Stockbridge, MA: Chester French Sculpture Park, 1993. Catalogue.
- “Fresco: “A Contemporary Perspective.” Snug Harbor, NY: Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art, October 1993.
- Larsen, Jack Lenor. “Sculpture Garden.” East Hampton, NY: Longhouse Foundation. 1993. Videocassette (30 minutes).
- Ebony, David. “Grace Knowlton at M-13.” Art in America, November 1992.
- “Departures: Photography 1923-1990; Moore College of Art and Design.” Art Matters, (October 1992):3.
- “Grace Knowlton, Layers and Traces.” Northampton, MA: Smith College Museum of Art. 1992.
- N., M. “Black and White, M-13.” Art News, June 1992.
- Smith, Roberta. The New York Times, April 24, 1992.
- “What the Hell are Those Things?” The Sophie, Northampton, MA: Smith College, (April 1992): 9.
- Busa, Christopher and Jack Lenor Larsen. “Nature to Advantage Dressed.” Garden Design, January-February 1991.
- Liotta, Christine. “A Natural Order.” Sculpture, September-October 1991.
- Slesin, Suzanne. The New York Times, May 30, 1991.
- Yankow, Edmund. “Departures: Photography 1923-1990.” New York: Independent Curators Incorporated, 1991.
- “A Natural Order—The Experience of Landscape in Contemporary Sculpture.” Yonkers, NY: Hudson River Museum, 1990.
- Gallagher Mara. “Hit of the Week: The Great Art-Doors.” Philadelphia Daily News. July 27, 1990.
- Collischan Van Wagner, Judith. “Grace Knowlton” Sculpture, New York: Bill Bace Gallery, January-February, 1990.
- Johnson, Ken. “Grace Knowlton at Bill Bace.” Art in America, January 1990.
- Matilsky, Barbara. “The Expressionist Surface—Contemporary Art in Plaster,” New York: The Queens Museum. 1990.
- Collischan Van Wagner, Judith. “Lines of Vision, Drawings by Contemporary Women.” New York: Hudson Hills Press, 1989.
- Cross, Jennifer. “Objects/Figures. Four Sculptors: Ronald Gonzales, Nene Humphrey, Grace Knowlton, Debra Weisberg.” 1989.
- “Three Spheres, Grace Knowlton.” Denver. CO: Museum of Outdoor Arts. 1989. Videocassette (30 minutes).
- Watney, Simon. “Departures: Photography 1924-1989.” New York: Hirschl and Adler Modern, 1989.
- Zimmer, William. “Blue Hill Cultural Center.” The New York Times, December 17, 1989.
- Sheehan, Joe.“Three Diverse Artists in One Exhibit.” Rockland County, New York: The Journal News, October 12, 1989.
- Slivka, Rose. “From the Studio.” East Hampton Star, September 14 1989.
- Yarrow, Andrew L. “A Time for Discoveries: What’s New in New York,” The New York Times, September 8, 1989.
- Zimmer, William. “Summer Splendors Outside the City.” The New York Times, August 14, 1989.
- “Artists Choose Artists.” New York: Socrates Sculpture Park, 1988.
- Burstyn, Ellen. “Balls of Grace.” New York, 1988. Videocassette (20 minutes).
- Brenson, Michael. “City as Sculpture Garden: Seeing the New and Daring.” The New York Times, July 17, 1987.
- Collischan Van Wagner, Judith. “Grace Knowlton.” Brookville, NY: Hillwood Art Gallery, LIU. C.W. Post Campus, 1987.
- Elkins, Lee. “Installation at City Hall and Studio Visit.” 1987. Videocassette (45 minutes).
- “Grace Knowlton’s Art.” Rockland County, NY: The Journal News, September 1986.
- “Knowlton’s Drawings, Sculptures Exhibited.” Rockland County, NY: Rockland Review, September 24, 1986.
- Collischan Van Wagner, Judith. “Grace Knowlton’s Secret Spaces.” Arts Magazine, April 1986.
- Cotter, Holland. “Snug Harbor Cultural Center.” The New York Times, April 1986.
- Myers, Adele O.P., and David Weinrib. “Art of Rockland and Orange.” Arden, NY: O.C.H.S. Clove Furnace Historic Site. 1986.
- Slivka, Rose. “Grace Knowlton at Twining.” Art in America, June 1985.
- Anderson Brown, Carol.“Grace Knowlton.” Arts Magazine, January 1985.
- Glueck, Grace. The New York Times, January 11, 1985.
- Public Art Program. New York: Hillwood Art Gallery, Long Island University, 1985.
- Naef, Weston. “The Gallery of World Photography, New Directions.” Tokyo: Sheisha Publishing Co., Ltd., 1984.
- Strand, Mark. “People Are Talking About...Amazing Greys.” Vogue, November 1984.
- “Grace Knowlton.” The Print Collector’s Newsletter14, no. 3. July-August 1983.
- Naef, Weston. “Adobe Portfolio.” New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Department of Prints and Photographs, 1983.
- Blum, June. “Women’s Art: Miles Apart.” New York: Aaron Berman Gallery, 1982.
- Naef, Weston. “Counterparts, Form and Emotion in Photographs.” New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1982.
- Tunis, Roslyn. “Ancient Inspirations, Contemporary Interpretations.” Binghamton, NY: Robertson Center for Arts and Sciences, 1982.
- “American Art in the Newark Museum.” Newark, NJ: Newark Museum, 1981.
- “Sculpture at Storm King.” Mountainville, NY: Storm King Art Center, 1980.
- Waldron, Ann, “Stedman Gallery Show,” Philadelphia Inquirer, September 17, 1978.
- Baxter, Robert. “Sculpture to Enjoy.” Courier-Post, September 2, 1978.
- Reeves, Jean. “Artists’ Work Fired by Imperfect Sphere.” News Critic, 1978.
- Steel, Virginia. “Camden Sculpture.” Philadelphia Bulletin, Camden, New Jersey: Rutgers University. 1978.
- “A Burst of Art and Color.” Architectural Digest, March 1977.
- Chatfield-Taylor, Adele. “Grace Knowlton.” 1975. Film (20 minutes).
- Fine Arts Work Center, Provincetown, MA. 01,02.
- Persephone 5, no. 1.